Some people have misconception about dietary supplement. Especially in India, people call bodybuilding supplements as dabba (a jar) without knowing what ingredients it contains and the benefits it provides.
People also think that supplements can only be taken by Bodybuilders and athletes and it harm their body when they retire from their profession.
This article covers the detailed information about supplement, its usage and the benefits it provides.
What is a supplement (dietary supplement)?
A Supplement or Dietary Supplement is an addition in your regular diet in order to improve or complete it. This addition in your diet as a supplement can be in the form of tablet, capsule, powder or syrup. Supplements can be vitamins, minerals, amino acids, protein, and other substances. Supplement is taken to add nutrients in our diet and these nutrients are either extracted from natural or synthetic sources.
Who can take supplements?
You might be unaware if your body needs supplements or not. However, healthy people like youngsters usually don’t need it. The usage and need of supplement depend on various situations, if:
- Deficient: If you are suffering from a deficiency or disease. For example, people suffering from bone and joint pain may need to consume calcium and vitamin D tablets as supplements.
- Pregnant woman: This is certain that all pregnant women require extra nutrient rich diet and to fulfill their nutrition requirement they may need to take supplements.
- Infants or young children: Infants and children may need supplements for their growth.
- Older people: As we get older, we may need extra nutrients in the form of supplements as our body starts to absorb less nutrients from food.
- Athlete, Bodybuilder or do workout: It is very common that gym going people, athletes and bodybuilders take supplements to fulfill their body’s nutrition need or to reach their goals.
- Had operation or surgery: Doctors may recommend or give it to people who had gone through any kind of surgery or operation.
What benefits it provide?
As written above supplement is taken to improve your health by adding the nutrients in your regular diet. Supplement benefits are same as the points or situations mentioned above. They can be used to treat a deficiency, to improve performance, or reduce the risk of a medical condition.
Note: Most dietary supplements are safe as long as you follow the product instructions. Large doses of certain nutrients may have adverse effects. For safety and quality, choose supplements which are tested and approved by a certifying body like FSSAI.